Wednesday, March 05, 2008

First Catch

My friend Ryan was nice enough to take me out fishing for the first time this past weekend. He showed me how to tie knots and set up the hook, line, and sinker. Then he taught me how to cast, and after a couple of poor tosses, I was able to get the line out. I never thought I would be able to catch any fish, and in fact thought I would be mostly catching the line on rocks and losing all the hooks, but as you can see, I was lucky enough to catch a few. These are the 3 largest fish of the bunch I got, as I had to toss the smaller ones back. The moana were good eating, as you can see from the 2nd photo. Scaling the fish was the biggest hassle, as scales ended up flying all over the kitchen. But Angelpoo was able to help get the ingredients and cook the fish properly, Chinese-style. The other fish ended up being frozen and hopefully Ryan's auntie can make soup with it, since the dangerous spikes on the tail and the rock-hard horn on the dorsal portion of the head threatened to poke us. All in all, it was a nice first fishing expedition!

7 Comments:

Blogger angelpoo said...

You were great! Now go catch me a fish everyday so I only have to grocery shop for ginger and green onions. Oh and catch a bigger one next time, like a tuna so we can eat sushi :)

7:04 AM, March 05, 2008  
Blogger poohcow said...

Choo, do you like sashimi? How much? I know a place that I can order sashimi by the pounds and they are shipped to your door fresh. I have done this with my friends and you won't believe it - for some $20, you eat the entire meal sashimi. There were uni and toro!

8:55 PM, March 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! I missed your fish post! Nice pictures! The moana look fantastic and the other one is super weird! Does that top horn lie down or is it permanently like that? You did a great job! I'm sure Ryan will take you out anytime, he's always looking for reasons to go. ;)

9:58 AM, March 19, 2008  
Blogger pachoo said...

Hey man,

That fish does look delish Chinese style. How did it taste?

7:41 PM, March 25, 2008  
Blogger happyoblivion said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Angelpoo--yes, I try for ahi next time, but that big fish might pull me into the ocean...

Poohcow--that sounds like a great deal! Really only $20 for a bunch of sashimi? Sounds great!

MLE--that horn on the fish was very hard and dangerous and doesn't move at all. It poked a hole in the bag and when I tried to cut it with our kitchen shears (the ones to cut chicken bones), it broke the shears. That's one tough buggah!

Pachoo--the moana tasted great! Since it was fresh, it was really really tasty.

7:31 AM, March 27, 2008  
Blogger Tim Hsu-Kwan said...

Mmmmmmm yummy! I'm super late on posting but am catching up =) What an experience - what was it like to be out on the boat?

1:59 AM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger happyoblivion said...

No boat--we walked out on the reef, near the Kahala Mandarin Hotel (can try Google map it to see!). At the end of our fishing trip, I stumbled and the current almost swept me away...to become fish food! Lucky I made it back.

12:02 PM, April 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home